Planning a trip to the East Neuk Festival? Don’t miss out on our top five things to do between the concerts and talks – FREE events, activities and fun that add up to a great day out:
1. Family activities at Cambo! There will be face-painting, drumming workshops, bird walks, colouring in and nature trails, and a chance to help build an enormous nest! There are ticketed events too including story telling and loads of music. It all happens on Saturday 6 July at Cambo Estate near St Andrews from 11am. For more info, visit our website.
2. Check out the sand sculpture: the annual miracle as the guys from Sand In Your Eye transform 20 tonnes of sand – just sand! – into a fabulous work of art. Previous years have seen trains, boats and even Beethoven rising up on Crail High Street: what will it be this year? Only one way to find out… And remember that it takes a full 3 days to go from a pile of sand to artwork so drop in anytime you are passing to check on progress (From Wed 3 July, The Honeypot Cafe, Crail).
3. While you are in Crail, don’t miss Lisa Hooper’s Festival Exhibition: one of Scotland’s top artists, she is famed for her gorgeous prints of birds and other wildlife. They are absolutely enchanting and you can buy one to take home with you. Thu 4 – Sat 6 July between 10.30am-4pm, then Sunday 1.30pm-4pm at Crail Church Hall.
4. Get a breath of fresh air: Take a walk along the coastal path: justly famous for its wonderful seascapes, natural beauty and historic monuments, Fife’s Coastal Path is an inexhaustible treasure. Our favourite bits are from Crail to Pittenweem or Elie to St Monans.
5. Visit the galleries: East Fife is home to an astounding number of artists and many galleries which sell art, crafts, pottery and more. Pittenweem, Anstruther and Crail have the highest numbers – and you can always combine a browse in the galleries with a cuppa in one of the many lovely cafes. Here’s a couple of our favourites to get you started: Crail Gallery, The Coach House, Pittenweem.